Tulsa Spousal Support Attorney

Spousal support (commonly called "alimony") is money that the higher-earning spouse pays to the other either during or after their separation or divorce. It is not intended as a punishment; rather, it is meant to allow the lesser-earning spouse to maintain a reasonable and adequate lifestyle while becoming self-sufficient.

The Law Office of Joseph Ellis Thompson, PLLC, represents both men and women in spousal support negotiations and disputes. With experience in mediation and litigation, we are strategic and diligent advocates on behalf of our clients. Our Tulsa spousal support lawyer handles cases involving:

  • Spousal support: The amount of traditional spousal support is based on a variety of factors, including the length of the marriage, both parties' incomes and education, assets and debts, ages, health and more. Rehabilitative spousal support is intended to help one spouse attend job training or college classes in order to become self-supporting.
  • Alimony in lieu of property division: The court may order one spouse to make a certain number of payments to the other in order to balance out property division arrangements. For instance, if the wife receives $12,000 more in property during the divorce, the court may order her to pay her ex-husband $500 a month for two years to equal the $12,000 worth of property.

Prenuptial And Postnuptial Agreements Can Affect Alimony

Prenuptial agreements can play a particularly important role. In addition to other limitations, they often specify that spouses will not request alimony payments from each other, should the marriage end in divorce. To be enforceable, however, a prenuptial agreement must adhere to certain legal requirements. One of several requirements is that there must be full financial disclosure between the parties so that both are aware of the other's assets and debts.

Arrange a consultation with our Oklahoma spousal support attorney by calling The Law Office of Joseph Ellis Thompson, PLLC, at 347-730-4003. You can also contact our Tulsa County office by email today.